Triathalon training in the UK. Training Bible.

Sunday 6 February 2011

To be a successful Athlete, you must understand your ‘Why’…


Recently I have been engaged to design a leadership programme for a ‘blue chip’ corporation and as part of that I have been undertaking some interesting research on what drives our behaviour. This led me to thinking about ‘Why’ I decided to become a coach, as it’s something that I am often asked by athletes and business professionals alike. My answer is that I truly believe that sport is a gift for lifelong learning, health and happiness. It’s because I hold this belief that I feel it’s my calling to assist and guide people to be the best they can be. I hope it will enhance their lives as it has mine.
Have you ever thought about ‘Why’ you do the things you do? Finding your ‘Why’ or purpose can be a tricky thing to identify and that’s one of the reasons that many of us don’t give it much time. When we are faced with difficult and complex things to consider, sometimes it’s just easier to accept that’s just the way we are. I would suggest that if we really want to be great at what we do, we need to understand ‘Why’ - even if we find that hard to explain in words.
It’s the ‘Why’ or true purpose that gets us out of bed in the morning and into the pool or onto the turbo trainer. Most of us are able to articulate ‘what’ we do and ‘how’ we do it, but when it comes to our purpose we end up saying stuff like, it feels good, or I get a buzz out of it. Some of us will talk in terms of ‘outputs’ - from ‘getting in the top 10’ to things like ‘managing our weight’ - but I tend to think it goes a bit deeper than that. I believe it’s linked to how we like to see ourselves, and even what we believe to be our true identity.
If we think about this in neurological terms, working out the ‘what’ and the ‘how’ is tackled in a different part of our brain. It’s processed in the computer like Neo Cortex which rationalises and labels these thoughts with language, enabling us to find a form of words to explain it. The ‘Why’ is developed in a different part of the brain - the limbic system - this is where we develop our emotional responses. It is less familiar with language and tends to evoke what we might call ‘gut’ reactions, the intuitive responses when something feels right or wrong, but is hard to explain.
Having a better understanding of our purpose can help garner the level of commitment that’s required to become the best we can be. It manifests itself in the highest performing teams and individuals. It can be observed in the standards they set for themselves and this in turn drives the training and practice schedules they put in place. Understanding our purpose can deliver a constant source of drive and inspiration so it’s worth spending a little time to think about ‘Why’ it is we do what we do. To paraphrase a great leader that truly understood his purpose Martin Luther King said ‘I have a dream...’

1 comment:

Di Newnahm said...

The understanding of the why needs to be revisited and I think it brings it back to your coaching philosophy, which changes due to your experience, values and beliefs. It is a good idea to re think the why and how of your coaching as it re frames what your coach role is.




Subscribe to our email newsletter

Copyright 2008-2011 Training Bible UK
Website by Yammayap